Sunday, November 25, 2007

Great White...Seagulls?

I learned something today. Shark cage diving is actually more about the seagulls than sharks. Of course I'm only speaking form personal experience after round II kicked off better than Friday (as we got picked up) but it resulted in the same sorry story, no sharks, no cage and certainly no adrenaline.

After recording some rather brilliant stuff on my camcorder I was starting to get rather giddy at the though of swimming the the mighty whites. I had the viion in my head, long shot of the boat, plugning into the water, then BANG, a Great White jumping out of the water. What a video (it would've been). Instead, I have some rather entertaining video of Pete and I dressing up up as giant black condoms (with complete helmet accessory) and some, you've guessed it seagulls hovering around the boat, leeching of all the bait which was trying to attract the sharks.

All's not bad though, met a pilot on board the boat, I think I have made a new career choice, free flights for everybody!

It was actually the second day I have had on a boat this weekend. I quick, hop skip and a jump (boat ride) over to Robben Island to see where Mandela spent his time in prison, although the romance of it all was kinda taken away by what seemed every German in the whole of Cape Town training to be paparazzi. I've never know anyone to take some many photo's of barbed wire and fencing before. Bloody German's, first the sun bed's, then the football and now this. I swear if I see another one snapping some metal because it looks "artistic" I may be forced to wrap his camera up in a selection of meats and cheese and serve it to them with a litre of beer.

Do I sound like I'm complaining?! South Africa is bloody awesome though and Pete and I have discovered a super Model in a Sport Illustrated we found in the pool room at the hostel. Minki van der Westhaven, check it out boyos.

Anyways best go and bronze myself in the evening sun. Off to Knysna tomorrow.

Tim

No comments: